CANCELLED – Champing Weekend (sleep in an ancient church)
THIS EVENT IS CANCELLED FOR 2020. I hope to run it again in 2021, so watch this space.
If you were on the RSVP list and did not receive the email about the cancellation, please direct message me.
COVID 19 update https://mailchi.mp/035732e3f2aa
Join us on this unique opportunity to stay overnight in an ancient church.
Day 1: 13 miles. We’ll set off from London to the Kent coast where we’ll follow the Saxon Shore Way along the coast before heading inland towards Canterbury. We’ll follow the inland before joining the River Stour following this to our overnight destination in the picturesque village of Fordwich. We’ll have dinner in the pub opposite the church, there’s a co-op in the village if you’d like to purchase a bottle of wine, snacks for an evening in the church (it’s allowed).
The next morning, breakfast will be delivered to the church, which we’ll enjoy before setting off for a gentle 8 mile hike in the Kent countryside before joining the North Downs Way finishing in the historic city of Canterbury. There’ll be time to explore this ancient City, before heading back to London.
Trains – PLEASE PRE BUY your own tickets for the cheapest rates. Alternatively you can buy on the day but will likely be much more expensive.
Outgoing – 09.40 London Victoria – Herne Bay (currently on offer for £10)
Return – Sunday 26th Canterbury West 17.26 (arriving in London St Pancras 18.21)
COST: £95 payable on RSVP
– Overnight accommodation in an ancient church
– Continental Breakfast on the Sunday morning.
– Two guided day hikes
What to bring
– Sleep bag, and pillow, bedding is not provided (so bring what you might take camping, and remember to pack light as you’ll have to carry what you bring on both days).
– Packed lunch for day 1, snacks for day one & day two (although there is a shop in Fordwich if you need to stock up). There’ll be an opportunity for a late lunch in Canterbury on Sunday.
– Money for an evening pub meal in Fordwich.
– A good torch
– Money for any other snacks or sundries required.
Other important details.
– The hikes will be gentle (suitable for beginners) but please make sure you wear a good pair of hiking boots, bring layers in case of hot/cold weather.
– Bring a comfortable rucksack containing your overnight essentials
– Bring warm layers, ancient churches don’t have heating and may get quite cold overnight even in summer.
– There are no showers (but there are toilets and running water).
– There is no electricity, but some lighting will be provided.
If you want to find out a bit more about your stay, here is a great review https://hostunusual.com/categories/host-unusual/champing-fordwich/
If you have any questions about this trip please direct message me.
What to bring (general to day hikes): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FLjSAczjgbZ26OKE4Iy_zX2IFqkybdXCmK9AkVfqI1w/edit?usp=sharing
To view our full calendar: https://www.meetup.com/GO-London/events/